Monday, May 9, 2022

i am made of memories

i am made of memories 

when cold hands touch mine,
i remember Mama's frosty arms on September 30th 

when i see my sister cry,
i remember shushing her screams on January 9th 

when i hear someone sneeze,
i remember my Poppy's last breaths on October 17th

when my friends say i bet you...
i remember Dad's pleads to Mama to stay away from Atlantic City on countless dates

when my stomach grumbles,
i remember rinsing my mouth from the taste of vomit on October 31st

when cop cars and ambulances pass me, 
i remember an echo saying deceased on September 30th

when the mirror doesn't show me what i want to see,
i remember Daniel's kisses and squeezes on July 22nd

when the shower gets too warm,
i remember how much i shook when i knew he'd say goodbye on August 15th

moments turn into memories turn into minutes again 

1 comment:

mourning

there's a primal shift that occurs   when something of yours is stolen  a stillness takes over you and makes you wonder if this is death...