Wednesday, March 30, 2022

this world can't contain me

this moment can't contain me 
although her waxy skin and 
the stale air threaten to 
make me as still as her
as stuck in this moment as she will always be

this world can't contain me
because my skin burns 
and my heart is a star 
that threatens to explode
and if i burn she's coming with me

this moment can't contain me 
but her smile and 
her hands closed together
make me want to stay and
oh this grief will be the end of me

this world can't contain me 
because she's dust now 
and she took my ashes 
with her to remind me 
that we'll be together eternally

5 comments:

  1. wow this is sooooo fun to read. I love the repeated line "this world can't contain me" showing that you own your life so boldy. The closing of this poem actually made my jaw drop it was so well written. The only suggestion I would make is saying your repeated line in the opening stanza right now you have moment there which is great but all the other lines match. Either way this is so awesome great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we do this one for workshop on Monday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the emotion pouring out of this poem. I really felt it in my heart while reading it. I loved how you incorporated so much texture to the poem, it just adds to the emotion and the reader being able to feel what you've written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so beautiful. i love the refrain and how it changes meaning with the stanzas. i also love how the last refrain was different altogether. you did a great deal of showing in this poem; i felt like i was sitting in on the moments you described here. this poem is so raw and gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is such a beautiful poem. You have such a mastery of imagery I really felt like I could see so many details of this poem. I also like how you made everything in the feminine, its a little different but I thought it was very cool. I especially love the ending and the reference to "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" its just such a subtle and gorgeous way to conclude.

    ReplyDelete

mourning

there's a primal shift that occurs   when something of yours is stolen  a stillness takes over you and makes you wonder if this is death...