Monday, February 7, 2022

i had been in a dream

 "you can't subject others

to your hysterics,"

she voiced like my brother,

like my father and sister. 

.

"excuse me?" I choked.

you see, 

i had been in a dream

before she had spoke.

.

i wore a crown on my head,

a carpet laid at my feet,

for my enemies 

to tread. 

.

with a sword 

by my side

with blood poured

on the floor, and a gleam in my eye.

.

a cage to my left,

full of shapeless birds I had heard

that would have partaken in theft

but were made a part of my herd. 

.

i was a queen 

who ruled on her throne.

i was an assassin

who forged bloodstone.

i was a shepherd

who led on her own. 

.

i thought i had met all of the villains.

with a mere gaze i could point them out,

and destroy their tortuous munitions.

.

did i not stare into her eyes?

they're green like mine.

i thought their wonder and kindness to be a sign.

but those words show it was simply all a guise. 

.

she stares at me

as my crown melts

and my carpet is rolled

and my sword loses its sheen

and their blood dries and leaves welts

and my eyes grow old

and the creatures are set free.

and then

she repeats.

2 comments:

  1. I love this poem. The last line is so powerful and it's been a while since I read such a compelling poem that empowers women and their ability to break free from the box society sets them in, as well as, and open the doors for other global issues that haunt our society today (IE: racism).
    i had been in a dream/before she had spoke. I love this line. If I were you, I would switch the lines just because this sounds a little yoda-ee. On another note, I love how you relate her eyes to your own. I can only imagine this meaning that she is her own enemy, but her own savior as well which, despite the rest of the poem, is quite humanistic. Most of the time people cannot be categorized as either a villain or a hero but both like seen in so many great leaders Z(Ghandi comes to mind) and how you eloquently describe in this moving poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! Are you in a dream like sleeping in the moments that your wearing the crown? I loved your imagination in this poem with the carpet at your feet for enemies to tread on. So amazing!! The images are great. I love how you pull us into a moment from a different moment. Where it starts as a conversation it goes into imagination and dreams. Loved this!!

    ReplyDelete

mourning

there's a primal shift that occurs   when something of yours is stolen  a stillness takes over you and makes you wonder if this is death...